Back To Education

uni.jpg (17186 bytes)

 
Administration
Courses
Teaching Instt. & Dept
Campus & Other Location
University Hostels
Affiliated Colleges

Nagpur University

 

 

History:
Nagpur University was established on 4th Aug 1923, although efforts in this direction were continuing for more than 20 years. According to the Saddler Report, it was decided to establish a single university for the region of Chattisgarh, Jabalpur, Raipur and Nagpur. We were fortunate to have Gandhian thinker Frank Sly as Vice Chancellor and Sir Bipin Krishna Bose as founder.


                In those days there were just 4 branches of study in the university: Arts, Science, Law and other related; and Six colleges; at Nagpur :- Hislop College , Morris College, Victoria Science College; at Jabalpur :- Robertson College and Spain Training College, at Amravati :- King Edward College.
(Vidarbha Maha Vidyalaya)

            Eminent Industrialist Jamshedji Tata donated Rs 1 Lakh to the University after which the administrative building Opposite Maharajbagh came up in January 1927.


            The University was divided in 1983 and Amravati University was founded on the 1st May, and the jurisdiction of Nagpur University was restricted to Nagpur, Wardha, Chandrapur, Gadchiroli and Bhandara.


            In its Diamond Jubilee year, there are 284 colleges under  Nagpur University. Noteworthy is Bhusawal's Sant Gadgebaba Hindi College. Today  University has 10 branches of study. Three colleges are run directly by the University:  Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Law College, Laxminarayan Institute of  Technology and Barrister S.K. Wankhede Ed. College.